Broadmoor Garden Club was founded in Colorado Springs in the spring of 1935 by thirty enterprising, dynamic women to promote interest and increase knowledge in gardening, conservation of native flora, protection of wildlife, civic planting, area beautification and flower arranging.
Mrs. Maria McKean Allen was elected the first President and invited members to view her beautiful gardens, surrounding the present day Parish House at Chapel of Our Saviour Episcopal Church. Many flower shows were held at El Pomar, then the home of member Julie Penrose. Other early members included Kathleen Marriage, considered the first landscape architect in Colorado Springs; Ruth Banning Lewis, ahead of her time for award winning
conservation measures that she implemented on their ranch; and Vesta Tutt, a highly regarded amateur archaeologist and community leader in the arts.
In 1937, the Club's logo was created by Lawrence Williams, featuring a basket with flowers and was designed initially for flower shows and remains our logo to this day.
CLICK TO OPEN
In 1941 the Club became a member of The Garden Club of America, a national organization whose mission and objectives are in harmony with our own. We recently celebrated 85 years of fun, friendship and purpose, continuing to honor the goals set forth by our Founders with our many efforts throughout the Pikes Peak region.
In 1998, under Colorado law, Broadmoor Garden Club was established as a non-profit corporation.
Membership in the Club is by invitation only.
Broadmoor Garden Club, All Rights Reserved. Created with Wix.com